Friday, June 5, 2015

Shake It Santa Baby

We are always thrilled to have a lovely guest star join us, especially when she brings along an awesome idea with a catchy title! This week we're lucky enough to have one of our favorite holiday cardmakers, Marianne of Marianne's Cards 'n Stuff! Let's meet her now and hear how she came up with this fortnight's prompt, which is to make a shaker card OR a card that features Santa Claus (or both?!):

"Hi everyone, I'm thrilled to be making a guest appearance on the Jingle Belles blog this fortnight. I'm a Dutch native living in Crete, Greece. I love singing as much as I love making Christmas cards, so as I was humming a song in the shower (Shake it up, baby - Twist and Shout), I had a light bulb moment. How about mixing things up a little and proposing 'Shake it Santa Baby' as a prompt for the Jingle Belles challenge?! As it happened, Lauren and Steph loved the idea, and I'm hoping you like it, too. I cannot wait to see what you come up with."


Marianne says, "For this week's card, I decided to focus on Santa. I thought this might be the perfect moment to break into the pack of dimensional Santa stickers I had brought home from a trip to Sydney, Australia some 18 months ago. I wanted to give Santa centre stage, so all I did was cut a few strips of patterned paper from an old Simon Says Stamp card kit, stamp a sentiment and adhere Santa and a small embellishment sticker from the same pack. And since this card came together so quickly, I made a second card, which can be viewed on my blog."


Stephanie says, "I love the vintage Santa stamps by Tim Holtz ... this one is inked in Festive Berries and Gathered Twigs (don't those ink colors just scream Christmas) ... the layout is this week's Freshly Made Sketch."


Lauren says, "I love shakers cards, but I don't especially love engineering. Luckily, I found a great way to cheat: I flicked through my collection of beautiful store-bought cards received over the holidays and found one with a fancy diecut window and layered it over a second card with a pretty snowscape featuring Santa and his reindeer. Then all I had to do was back the window with a piece of clear acrylic, surround the edge with foam tape, and fill the center with clear iridescent microbeads that look like snow. EASIEST. SHAKER CARD. EVER!!!" :)

Now it's time to see what you will do: Embark on a shaker card design, feature Christmas' "big guy"... or maybe a bit of both? We can't wait to see! Link your cards up right here by 6pm (EST) on Wednesday, June 17th. Keyword for galleries and Flickr is JB:15:12.

1 comment:

Marianne said...

Wonderful cards, ladies! Love the bold red against the soft background (almost bought this śtamp last weekend) and Lauren's shaker card is just so cleverly designed. Thanks so much for having me as your guest this week.